Embroidered and Mended Shirtdress
I finished mending this beloved dress today so that I can wear it tonight to teach visible mending at Needlework! The original dress was made in 2014 for me to wear to my bridal shower. I used some Martha Negley quilting cotton (from Needlework!) and the Darling Ranges dress pattern (by Megan Nielsen). It has been in the top favourite dress pile since then, but it was starting to show (a lot!) of signs of wear. There was fraying around the neckline, many of the buttonholes had frayed and ripped larger, it has faded and some of the seams had started to loosen or unravel. I wasn’t sure about mending it, except to wear around the house. I was thinking to just sew the whole button placket together so the buttons didn’t function anymore and fix the seams and then just not leave the house in it but then I decided NO. This dress and I are end game! I can still fix it enough to wear it and love it even more!
So I spent FOREVER embroidering all around the neckline, fixed the seams, went in and re-finished and darned around the buttonholes so they are strong and usable. It was a labour of love. But then I was going through my photos and I found myself wearing this dress on so many emotional occasions. It really made it seem worth it. My bridal shower, decorating our backyard for our wedding day, our honeymoon, early pregnancy with both kids, holding Molly in the backyard of our old house (and I remember I felt good in that dress when not much made me feel confident those days). Anyways… this dress is the best and I am happy I fixed it.