This is an illustration for a potential Thank You card. I've been making a few lately, in hopes that once I have a bunch, I will be able to pick the best ones for printing.
This time I remembered to scan in my painting at intervals to show you all my painting process.
My steps go roughly like this:
- Sketch a bunch of thumbnails (not shown in the GIF), pick some good ones, scan them.
- Make a digital sketch on top of the sketches with my pen and tablet in Photoshop.
- Print this at the size I want, and use that as a guide for a watercolour sketch with a hard mechanical pencil.
- Do a series of washes to fill in the main colour areas.
- Slowly build up colours, leaving highlighted areas lighter.
- Add darker shading and cast shadows.
- Use a thin copic multiliner to add some details like the dinosaurs teeth and the shoelaces.