The Tale of One of Many Christmas Cookie Disasters
A couple years ago, I decided I was dead set on making our longstanding sprinkled sugar cookies a new way. I found an ambitious recipe in some magazine for icing your cookies with an icing that will harden and that you can basically paint on to the cookies. AWESOME, RIGHT? We congregated at my mom's house and pulled out all the stuff. (Ignore the fact that this was also the year I accidentally used whole wheat flour in everything. Oops.)
We made the cookies without mishap and sat down to decorate them. I made TONS of icing in many many colours. There was lots of cream of tartar to help everything set. I was munching away while we were decorating and then it happened.
Sick. SO SICK. I'm not sure if I had a reaction to cream of tartar or if that specific cream of tartar was bad... but I essentially poisoned myself.
I made it home to my apartment just in time to hand the cookies back to the porcelain gods.
The weird part is that I was the only one who got sick. Everyone else loved them. But I've shied away from cream of tartar since then.
We made cookies this weekend for a Christmas dinner with my dad's side of the family and I burned the bottoms of the first two batches. Every year it has to be something, I guess!